Early work

Helen began writing at an early age, not surprising given her father's scholarship. Here is an example of a poem she wrote for him when she was eleven:

My dear papa tis very long,
Since I have had a vacation.
And now I write a little song,
To move your hearts compassion.
I'm tired to death of Latin,
As you no doubt do know.
I get on slow with practising,
Alas! Alas! how slow!
I think it is but fair,
That I should have some rest,
And tis my fervent prayer,
That you may think it best.
I'm but a child,
And rather wild,
As all the world doth know.
And this is why,
It seems so dry,
For me to study so.
That old brown book,
Has such a look,
It makes one sigh to see it.
And only think how long twill take,
For you to drag me through it.
Now if you'll grant a resting spell,
I think I then shall go on well.
I would write more but my thoughts are fled,
And mother says "Now go to bed."
I wish you'd answer this in rhyme,
If you can possibly find the time.
Your affectionate daughter, H.M. Fiske


(Jackson to Fiske, 1842)

No comments:

Post a Comment