Author - Death


Helen Hunt Jackson died of cancer on August 8, 1885 in California. Even as she lay on her deathbed her thoughts were still focused on the plight of Native Americans, as evidenced by the note she wrote below (Odell, p 219, 1939):

August 8, 1885

To Grover Cleveland, President of the United States

Dear Sir:

From my deathbed I send you a message of heartfelt thanks for what you have already done for the Indians. I ask you to read my "Century of Dishonor." I am dying happier for the belief I have that it is your hand that is destined to strike the first steady blow toward lifting this burden of infamy from our country and righting the wrongs of the Indian race.

With respect and gratitude,

Helen Jackson


Her husband brought her remains back to her home in Colorado and she was buried at Cheyenne Mountain (see photo above), her favorite view in Colorado Springs. However, later on she was re-buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Colorado Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment